There are many sources of information for helping buyers to buy property – see some of the links below.
At Julie Rutherford Real Estate, we are committed to assisting genuine buyers in their search for the right home or property investment. Here are our top tips:
1. Research and decide where you want to buy – you can waste a lot of time looking at properties that are in locations that don’t suit you.
2. Use the web to educate yourself on properties for sale, sold prices, location facilities and attractions. In our area, the agent websites, chamber of commerce, tourism sites, sporting clubs sites, local newspapers are all good sources of information. See 'useful links’ section in the Resources tab of this website.
3. Have your finance in place or your home sold before inspecting properties. It is unreasonable to expect agents and sellers to spend time showing you properties if you are not ‘ready to buy’.
4. Give yourself plenty of time for property inspections and give the agent at least 24 to 48 hours notice.
5. In NSW, Pre-purchase Pest and Building Reports are the buyers responsibility. We have a list of companies and/or tradespeople that can help you with these reports. If you are an investor, request a rental appraisal in writing from the agent prior to negotiating the sale price.
6. When you are ready to make an offer, put it in writing – our agency will provide you with an Offer to Purchase form.
7. Appoint a solicitor/conveyancer to act on your behalf once you have successfully negotiated a purchase price and the agent will issue sales instructions accordingly.
8. Finally, it is important to expediate exchange of contracts as the sale is not a legal transaction until contracts are signed and the deposit paid. Talk to your agent if there are problems as the agent is the link between all parties.